Lowe's Canada releases its 2019 corporate responsibility highlights
Boucherville, QC – August 5, 2020 – Lowe’s Canada, one of Canada’s leading home improvement retailers operating or servicing more than 470 corporate and affiliated stores under different banners, today released its 2019 Corporate Responsibility Highlights, presenting key figures that illustrate how it is living its three-pronged sustainability commitment to supporting its associates and communities, helping customers reduce the environment footprint of their projects, and reducing the environmental impacts of its operations. These Highlights complement the 2019 Corporate Responsibility Report released in July by Lowe’s Companies, Inc., which covers both Lowe’s Companies, Inc.’s and Lowe’s Canada’s sustainability performance for the year.
“Our 2019 Corporate Responsibility Highlights speak not only to our sustainability goals, but also report on the progress we made during the year in achieving them, including meeting some of our sustainability goals ahead of schedule,” said Jean-Sébastien Lamoureux, Senior Vice-President, Public Affairs, Asset Protection and Sustainable Development at Lowe’s Canada. “While we are proud of what we accomplished last year for our communities and for the environment, the path to sustainability remains an ongoing journey, and we are determined to continue improving our performance in the years to come.”
The Lowe’s Canada 2019 Corporate Responsibility Highlights include:
- Investing $4.9 million in communities across Canada by supporting more than 250 local non-profit organizations;
- Offering over 5,000 ECO products online and in store;
- Meeting in advance the 2020 target to have 100% of indoor residential carpets and rugs free of PFAS chemicals;
- Recycling 19,200 tons of wood, cardboard, plastic, hazardous material and other waste at corporate sites;
- Advancing $24 million worth of energy efficiency initiatives, including the roll-out of energy management systems and LED lighting retrofit at corporate stores across the country;
- A 58% reduction in the use of plastic bags at its corporate stores in 2019 compared to 2017.
About Lowe’s Canada
Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) is a FORTUNE® 50 home improvement company serving approximately 18 million customers a week in the United States and Canada. With fiscal year 2019 sales of $72.1 billion, Lowe’s and its related businesses operate or service more than 2,200 home improvement and hardware stores and employ approximately 300,000 associates. Based in Boucherville, Quebec, Lowe’s Canadian business, together with its wholly owned subsidiary, RONA inc., operates or services more than 470 corporate and independent affiliate dealer stores in a number of complementary formats under different banners. These include Lowe’s, RONA, Réno-Dépôt and Dick’s Lumber. In Canada, the companies have more than 26,000 associates, in addition to approximately 5,000 employees in the stores of independent affiliate dealers operating under the RONA banner. For more information, visit lowescanada.ca.